This is a light, easy to make, vegan cream of broccoli soup. The creaminess comes from the soaked cashews, alternatively use a few tablespoons of tahini or cashew butter if you have no cashews or you are pressed for time.
- 1 large or 2 small heads of broccoli
- 2-3 large potatoes
- 1 tsp of ground cumin seeds
- 2 handfuls of cashew nuts (pre-soaked for 2-3 hours in cold water)
(use tahini instead if you prefer or as a time-saver)
- 1 tsp of pumpkin seed oil
- 1 tbsp of hulled hemp seeds
- Unrefined sea salt to taste
- Peel and cube the potatoes.
- Wash the broccoli. Cut off the thick stems, chop into smaller pieces and set aside to cook with the potatoes.
- Split the broccoli heads into smaller florets and set aside.
- Boil the cubed potatoes and broccoli stems in a litre of water with a little salt and
- When the potatoes are almost cooked add the broccoli florets – just long enough to
soften, and then remove from the heat and set aside to cool to about 110ºF / 45ºC.
- Meanwhile, blend the cashews in a food processor and when ready add half of the
boiled potatoes, broccoli stems and florets with some of the water and blend to a form a creamy texture.
- Add back to the pot along with the pumpkin seed oil and stir well.
- Add salt to taste and serve with a sprinkle of hulled hemp seeds.