Cucumbers and dill are good ingredients to consider if you are feeling bloated or suffering from digestive upsets. Dill herb and seeds are calming to the digestive system and help reduce bloating and flatulence. Cucumbers are mildly diuretic, probably due to their high water content, they are also high in potassium and low in sodium, making them both heart and kidney friendly. Both cucumber and dill are high in antioxidants and offer a good variety of vitamins and minerals.
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 1 tbsp of finely chopped fresh dill or 1 tsp of dried dill
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1 tbsp of fresh lemon juice
- Peel the cucumbers, or wash thoroughly in cold water if you prefer to leave the skin on.
- Slice the cucumber into thin round slices.
- Place in a bowl and sprinkle with unrefined sea salt.
- Press the cucumber to release some liquid and stir in the lemon juice and dill.
- Cover and leave in a cool place for a couple of hours. The salt will draw out more of the liquid from the cucumbers.
- Stir well before serving.
Fennel or mint would also work in place of dill.