- 1 bunch of kale
- 4 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp of unrefined sea salt
- 1 tsp of cayenne powder
- De-rib the kale, wash and pat dry.
- In a large mixing bowl stir olive oil, lemon juice, salt and cayenne.
- Cut the kale leaves and tender stems into smaller pieces into your mixing bowl.
- Toss all ingredients together.
- Massage the kale to break it down further, then set aside to allow flavours to infuse.
- Replace a tablespoon of olive oil with a tablespoon of tahini.
- Massage in an avocado for a creamy, more filling salad.
- Add chopped tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, chickpeas or beans or whatever you fancy.
Kale: nutritional information
Kale is high in antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-carcinogenic nutrients. It also assists with cell detoxification processes. It is an excellent source of vitamins K, A, C, manganese and copper. Kale is a very good source of Vitamins B6, B2 and E, calcium and potassium. It is a good source of vitamins B1 and B3, magnesium, phosphorus, omega 3, protein and folate.¹
(1) What’s New and Beneficial About Kale. Online article. Available at: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=38 (accessed 19 July 2016)