It is so easy to make your own oat milk, more cost effective and convenient than buying by the carton. The basic recipe calls for oats and water, with cashews added to give it a creamy texture. You could add a few dates or maple syrup for sweetness, or flavour with vanilla, cacao or carob powder for a chocolate milk, fresh raspberries or whatever you fancy. The recipe does not call for pre-soaking the oats, this prevents the milk from getting too gloopy.
- 1 cup of oats
- 1/4 cup of raw cashews
- 4 cups of water
- Flavourings are optional: dates, maple syrup, vanilla paste, cacao, carob, berries or banana.
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend for about 30 seconds or until smooth.
- Strain into a large jug or bowl through a nut milk bag, or line a sieve with muslin.
- When all the liquid is drained, squeeze out remaining milk.
- That’s it! Your milk is ready to use.
- Refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Enjoy your oat milk hot or cold. Use it in smoothies, on cereals, and in recipes. Click here to learn more about the nutritional and medicinal benefits of oats.