This oatmeal bread is quick and easy to make. You could use spelt or other flour in place of whole wheat flour. Try adding seeds, nuts or raisins for a hearty breakfast bread.
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 tbsp of honey
or blackstrap molasses
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil/coconut butter
- 1 cup of buttermilk
or nut milk with a tsp of apple cider vinegar for vegan option
- Preheat oven to 325°F / 160°C.
- Mill the oatmeal in a food processor or blender.
- In a large bowl, combine oatmeal, flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine honey and vegetable oil then stir in the milk.
- Add the flour mixture and stir until a soft dough is formed.
- Form the dough into a ball or loaf shape and place on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Sprinkle oat flakes on the top if you like.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
- Allow to cool before slicing. Wrap in a clean tea towel if you want a soft crust.
Variations: Add chopped nuts, seeds and dried fruit, or cinnamon and allspice for a hearty breakfast bread.
Oatmeal adds a nutty flavour and a chewy texture to breads. It also ups the fibre and nutrient content of the bread.
Related posts: Oats as Food and Medicine