Roasted chickpeas are a healthy and tasty alternative to crisps and other fatty snacks.
Chickpeas are high in protein, so these make for a filling, satisfying snack. Enjoy roasted chickpeas on their own or add them to salads and other dishes.
Makes about 2 servings.
- 1 tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive or avocado oil
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon unrefined sea salt / Himalayan pink salt
VARIATIONS: Adjust the seasoning to your taste. I like to add turmeric and chilli flakes for a hot and spicy flavour. Try garlic powder with Italian herbs like oregano and basil, or honey and cinnamon for a sweeter snack.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Spread the chickpeas in a single layer on a baking sheet. It’s ok if they are still wet, they will dry out in the oven. Bake for about 30 minutes.
- Every 10 minutes shake the baking tray to ensure the chickpeas are evenly roasted.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the oil and seasoning.
- After about 30 minutes, remove from the oven and transfer the hot chickpeas to the bowl. Toss to ensure the chickpeas are evenly coated with oil and seasonings.
- Spread the seasoned chickpeas back onto the baking sheet and return to the oven for another 10 to 15 minutes until they are golden and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and allow them to cool a little before enjoying.
- Serve your roasted chickpeas while still warm, or completely cooled for a more crunchy texture.
These can be stored in an air-tight container, in the fridge, for up to a week, although they will soften and lose their crispy texture.