- 2½ cups spelt flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup fizzy kefir water
- OPTIONAL: Oil to brush tops of buns
VARIATIONS: Add raisons, cranberries or your favourite dried fruit to the dry ingredients for a fruit scone.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees .
- In a large bowl combine spelt flour, salt and baking soda.
- Add fizzy kefir water. If you do not have kefir water you can use kombucha or sparkling water.
- Mix to a soft sticky dough.
- Cover a board or surface with flour and knead your dough, then divide into 4 equal balls.
- Roll each ball in flour and use the palm of your hand to and gently flatten into a round.
- Place on a floured baking sheet.
- For a shiny surface brush the top of each round of dough with oil.
- Place in the hot oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- When done turn the scones upside down on a wire wrack to cool. They should sound hollow when tapped.