This is a versatile recipe for making a plant-based, vegan mince to replace minced meat in traditional recipes such as spaghetti bolognese and shepherd’s pie.
Use it to stuff peppers, on salads, in wraps, as a side dish, or wherever you feel like adding a tasty filling.
Serves 2 sides, or use as a filling in wraps, on salads,or as a vegan mince in hot dishes.
- 1 tablespoon of coconut butter
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 cup of ground walnuts*
- 2 tablespoons of ground linseeds
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 6 tablespoons of water
- 2 tablespoons of blackstrap molasses
- Salt and pepper, to season
- OPTIONAL: add complimentary herbs and spices
*Alternatively soak 2 cups of whole walnuts for 4 hours, drain and ground down in a food processor.
- Preheat oven to 180°c.
- Combine the chia seeds and water and leave aside to set.
- Peel, trim and blitz the carrots, transfer to a deep mixing bowl.
- Add in the ground walnuts, linseeds and seasoning and mix together.
- Place 1 tablespoon of coconut butter in a roasting pan and put in the oven for 3 minutes or until butter melts and remove from the oven.
- Stir the blackstrap molasses in with the hot butter.
- Combine the set chia seeds and water with the stuffing mix. Stir, mix should clump and resemble crumbs.
- Turn your mix into the roasting pan and bake for 20-30 minutes.
- Toss your mix and roast for a further 10 minutes until carrots are tender.
- Serve or store for future use.
- Use cauliflower in place of carrots, or other root vegetables such as sweet potato or parsnips.
- Add pumpkin and sunflower seeds or other nuts that you have.
- To give your mince a little more depth, try adding sun-dried tomatoes or mushrooms.