Serve this easy to make, 3 bean chilli with brown rice, boiled millet or other whole grain. It is also good served with sweet potato flatbreads. Improvise, use whatever beans you have, add other vegetables and adjust the seasoning to your liking.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 1 green/red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 chilli pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tin of kidney beans
- 1 tin of cannelloni beans
- 1 tin of black beans
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- Heat ½ cup of water in a large pot. Add the chopped onion and cumin seeds and cook on high heat, stirring frequently until the onion is soft. Add more water if needed.
- Stir in garlic, bell pepper and another ½ cup of water.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, chilli pepper and about a cup of water. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add beans and their liquid. Cover loosely and simmer for a further 15 minutes.
Optional: Add diced carrots, celery or other veggies of choice.