Makes approximately 2 dozen small cookies.
- 4 oz of coconut butter
- 1 cup of dried dates finely chopped or blended in food processor
- ½ cup of organic blackstrap molasses
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds mixed with 6 tablespoons of water (substitute for 2 eggs)
- 2½ cups of spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon each of ground cloves, ground ginger, and ground cinnamon or allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon of unrefined sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ cup of water
- Preheat your oven to 180/375 degrees. Mix chia seeds and water in a cup and leave aside to set.
- In a marie-bain or pot on very low heat, melt the blackstrap molasses and coconut butter together.
- Add the spices, baking soda and salt and mix, then add the chia seed and water mixture and beat until all is well-mixed. Add ½ cup of water and mix in with chopped dates.
Add flour and mix to form a sticky dough.
- Use coconut butter to oil up 2 cookie sheets.
- Use a tablespoon to drop the mixture into the cookies sheets, and bake for 15 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool. before serving.
VARIATIONS: Add rind of organic orange, or ginger + lemon.