Here’s an easy-pleasey vegan pancake recipe. You could make up the batter the night before if you want pancakes for breakfast. Store any unused batter for a snack or dessert, or store overnight for the next day.
To make gluten-free pancakes use chickpea and rice flour or your own gluten-free flour mix.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp demerara or coconut sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened plant milk
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp of ground flax or chia seeds
- 3 tbsp of water
- OPTIONAL: 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine a tablespoon of flax or chia seeds with 3 tablespoons of water and set aside to set. This is used in place of an egg to bind the ingredients.
- Mix the remaining dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the middle of your dry mix and add the milk, flax/chia mix, oil and vanilla extract to the bowl. Stir until combined but don’t over-mix as this can make the pancakes tough.
- Leave the batter to stand for 10 minutes.
- Warm a lightly oiled pan. Ladle about ¼ cup of batter (per pancake) into the pan and cook on medium heat until you see the edges get brown and tiny bubbles form on the surface.
- Flip and cook for about 2 minutes. Outside of pancakes should be golden brown.
- Serve with maple syrup or toppings of your choice: fresh berries, banana, stewed apple, nut butter, cinnamon, etc.